From technology to aging demographics, some of the most important trends shaping the economy have been deflationary. What happens when that rapidly changes?
Today on the Brief:
- FTX lists two Compound tokens
- Reddit partners with Ethereum Foundation on Layer 2 scaling
- Black-In Freedom Festival reimagines Juneteenth
Our main topic:
Dr. Vikram Mansharamani is a lecturer at Harvard and author of “Boombustology: Spotting Financial Bubbles Before They Burst” as well as the just released “Think for Yourself: Restoring Common Sense in an Age of Experts and Artificial Intelligence.”
In this wide-ranging conversation, he and NLW discuss:
- Why our relationship with experts and expertise is leading us astray
- How COVID-19 shows the downside of both over-reliance on, and complete rejection of, experts
- How the economic crisis surrounding COVID-19 is bursting bubbles and moving us from a period defined by deflation to one defined by inflation
- Why “monetary debasement is here to stay”
- Why the U.S.-China relationship is the key backdrop for understanding the next 10 years of global economic reality
- Why inequality threatens the fabric of our economy and our society, and what might be done about it
The leader in blockchain news, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups.