By CCN: Tax season has once again come and (almost) gone, and so have many hard-earned dollars that once lined your wallet and bank account. But just because you’ve been paying federal taxes for as long as you’ve been earning an income doesn’t mean you have to keep doing so.
A loophole in the federal tax code allows citizens of Puerto Rico who qualify for Act 22 to pay as little as 0% federal taxes on capital gains and earned income. But for crypto investors, the tax incentives Puerto Rico offers are only the tip of the iceberg. Pristine beaches, warm weather year-round, and access to some of blockchain’s most keyed-in figures – like bitcoin billionaire Brock Pierce – are among the others.
Here are three reasons that you should move to Puerto Rico – especially if you’re a crypto investor.
1. Puerto Rico Incentivizes High Earners with 0% Tax
If you qualify for the unique tax benefits that Puerto Rico offers, you could save up to 100% on federal income taxes. To meet the requirements, one must:
- Become a bonafide resident of Puerto Rico (spending a minimum of 183 days per year on the island).
- Pass a criminal background check.
- File the appropriate applications with the IRS. All-in filing costs range from $5,000 to $12,000.
- Make a $5,000 annual donation to an approved local nonprofit.
If the potential to save up to 100% of the federal income tax you pay each year isn’t enough to entice you, there’s more.
Now is an ideal time for crypto traders and blockchain enthusiasts to relocate to the island. That’s because Puerto Rico is quickly becoming a technology hub, and many analysts believe that…