- Impatience is brewing as Sony maintains its PS5 radio silence.
- GameStop’s PS5 registration page features the latest morsel of news.
- While welcome, it doesn’t offer any new insights about the highly-anticipated next-generation console.
It’s been nearly two months since Sony unveiled the PlayStation 5 logo at CES 2020. Since then, we’ve heard little else other than a vague promise of upcoming news via the freshly published PS5 website.
With Microsoft regaling us with fresh teraflop-flavored details about the Xbox Series X as recently as Monday, would-be fans of the PlayStation 5 are left with little to sink their teeth into, and impatience is mounting.
The result is that any morsel of PlayStation 5 news, regardless of whether it emanates from an official source or the well-oiled rumor mill, is pounced upon like vultures to carrion.
GameStop ‘Unveils’ PS5 Details
The latest comes from U.S. retailer GameStop, courtesy of a PlayStation 5 landing page where those interested can share their contact information to receive notifications. While not directly from Sony, it does carry a bit more reputational weight than your daily dose of Reddit speculation.
Unfortunately, there’s nothing all that new on GameStop’s newly minted registration page. It merely summarizes features shared by PS5 lead architect Mark Cerny in an interview with Wired nearly a year ago and in more recent info drops.
Here they are;
- Full 8K TV support
- Bespoke 8-core AMD chipset
- 3D Audio
- Built-for-purpose SSD storage
- Backwards compatibility with PS4 games/PSVR hardware
- Ray tracing capabilities
- Expanded User Interface
- New controller with haptic feedback and adaptive triggers
- Enhanced GPU
- Physical and digital games
Nothing New Here
There’s no mention of…