- Google has launched a free tier for the Stadia cloud gaming service.
- Anyone that signs up will receive two free months of Stadia Pro, granting access to nine games.
- The free tier is rolling out to 14 countries over the next 48 hours.
Nearly six months after launching, Google Stadia finally has a free tier, or at least a free tier open to anyone with a Gmail address. A small hoop to jump through for access to the cloud gaming service.
Stadia Goes Free (for Gmail Users)
Google announced as much today in a blog post over on the official Stadia portal. The details: Stadia is free from today in 14 countries, and it’s bundled with a free two-month subscription to the premium Stadia Pro.
Pro includes access to no less than nine games, so you won’t be forking out the cash for full price games straight out of the starting gates, which is sure to lure in more than a few curious players.
The games are:
- Destiny 2: The Collection
- SteamWorld Dig 2
- SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech
- Serious Sam Collection
- Stacks on Stacks (on Stacks)
After the two month trial, monthly pricing will revert to the standard $9.99, but anyone that signs up can easily cancel the subscription beforehand. It’s a perfect way to test out Stadia without the sense that you may be wasting your money.
Any purchased games remain yours and will be playable on the free tier. Alongside, Google is extending the two free months to existing Pro subscribers – the service won’t charge them for the next two billing cycles.
How to Sign Up to Get Stadia for Free
So how do you sign up? Google says it’s simple:
– Go to Stadia.com to sign up
– Download the Stadia app on Android or iOS
– Play on your laptop, desktop or Chrome OS tablet with…