VIP clients are the first to receive Kraken Intelligence reports. If you’d like early access to our latest research, sign up to trade with us today or ask your account manager for more details.
Kraken Intelligence, our team of in-house research experts, has released its Bitcoin Volatility Report for July 2020.
- A remarkable +14.5% rally between Monday, July 27 and Friday, July 31 resulted in Bitcoin crossing $11,000 for the first time in nearly a year, more than $11 billion in volume traded and an annualized volatility of 45%.
- Concerns over the state of the global economy and a shift towards safe haven assets resulted in Bitcoin’s rolling 30-day correlation with gold flipping from a 10-month low of -0.66 on July 2 to a 1-year high of 0.93 on July 31.
- The OCC’s approval of U.S. nationally chartered banks providing crypto custody services, gold hitting an all-time high and Bitcoin’s dominance falling to a 1-year low set the stage for bitcoin’s +24% rally in July.
A number of signals point to possible higher volatility and higher prices in the months ahead.
- In late July, Bitcoin broke out of a large, 2.5-year “pennant” formation, a move many believe could indicate the start of the next bull cycle. Further, price settled above $10,500, making a higher-high that added support to the upward trend.
- Now that we are above $11,000, Bitcoin is trading in territory it has only been in for about 2.5% of its entire history. This may lead to higher volatility and higher prices as Bitcoin unlocks new levels of support and resistance and navigates uncharted waters.
- On 12 separate occasions, Bitcoin’s annualized volatility bottomed between 15% – 30% before climbing, on average, to 140%. Considering that, and the fact that Bitcoin set a 21-month volatility low of 23% on July 24, volatility could exceed 100% as bitcoin rallies somewhere between +50% and +200% in the months ahead.
- August is historically the third most volatile…